Dog Care

Holiday Safety Tips for Your Pets

Holidays are a major plan for every family, and especially for those that do have pets around! As the dates come closer, it is important to keep the pet’s eating and exercise activity by the routine. And be mindful, particularly to avoid any direct contact with unhealthy treats, dangerous decorations, and toxic plants!

Avoid dangerous decorations

1. Secure anchoring the Christmas tree

Is a very important step of confirmation so that it doesn’t tip and fall, accidentally injuring your pet. If you are using a natural tree, the water may contain fertilizers that can upset your pet’s stomach and cause nausea or diarrhea. Stagnant water is a breeding ground for bacteria.

Make sure you set up your Christmas tree safely so your pet won't get injured

2. Avoid Holly and Mistletoe

Holly, if ingested, causes nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea to your pet. Whereas, Mistletoe can cause cardiovascular and gastrointestinal problems. Many varieties of lilies can also cause health problems, such as kidney failure in cats if ingested. Rather get artificial plants made from silk or plastic or choose a pet-safe bouquet.

Dogs tend to eat mistletoe and if they do, they will get poisoned

3. Wired upkeep your wires, plastic or glass ornaments, or batteries out of your pet pal’s paws! In worst case scenarios, a wire can deliver a potentially lethal electrical shock, whereas a punctured battery can cause your pet burns to the mouth or esophagus, while the shards of breakable ornaments can damage the mouth and the digestive tract. Keep an eye out!

Don't put wires where dog's can reach them

4. Tinsel-less town

A nibble or a swallow of this light-catching ‘toy’ can cause an obstructed digestive tract with severe vomiting, dehydration, and possibly surgery. Instead, choose to brighten your boughs with other interesting things, rather than tinsel.

Tinsel are a very dangerous ornament for dogs

5. Lighted candles

Don’t leave any lighted candles unattended. Your pet can burn itself or cause a major fire if they accidentally knock a candle or a few candles over.

Lighted candles are dangerous for dogs

Also food dangers

1. No-no to sweets

It has been talked about since forever: do not feed your pets anything sweetened with Xylitol, not even chocolate. Your pet will do anything in its power to grab a bite as soon as you leave the area or are focused on something else! Therefore, to prevent any mishaps, make sure you keep your pet away from the table or unattended plates of food and remember to secure the lids on garbage cans everywhere!

Sweets are dangerous for dogs. Keep away from them!

2. Carefully handle cocktails

Place your unattended alcoholic drinks somewhere your furry friends can never reach! If your pet splurges on these beverages, they may become ill, weak or get into a coma, which can result in death from respiratory failure.

Keep cocktail drinks away from dogs

3. Forget about leftovers

Spicy, fatty, and other restricted human foods, and bones should not be fed to your pets. There are many other pet-friendly snacks to give – choose wisely!

Christmas leftover food and dogs

4. Selecting the special treats

If you are going to stuff your pet’s stockings, then pick toys that are indestructible or stuff toys that are designed to be safely digestible. You can stuff them with healthy foods, chewing treats.

Treat your dog with good food for christmas

Plan-out holiday gatherings

  1. Put the meds away – lock all of your medications behind secure doors and also ask your guests to keep their meds locked and packed away so that they do not get in contact with your pets and risk their health!
  2. House rules reinforcement – if you are busy tending to your guests and the party, allow your animal-loving guests to give your pet a little extra attention and exercise. Ask them to feel free to start a nice play or a cozy petting session.
  3. Cozy room of their own – shy pups and cats may want to hide away from the hubbub, so give your pets a quiet space to retreat to whenever they feel overwhelmed.
  4. New year’s noise – be watchful/mindful of the thrown confetti, as they can lead to intestinal surgery if ingested. Also, noisy poppers terrify pets and may even cause damage to their sensitive ears. A great number of pets are also really scared of the fireworks, so secure them in a safe and escape-proof area during this time!

Read also: 

Most Popular

To Top