Table of content
Have you ever wondered what the effect of alcohol is like on your dog? Some human foods are potentially harmful to pets, which is why you should be sure to know that a type of food won’t affect your dog adversely before giving it to your animal as a treat.
This post is a list of some human foods you shouldn’t be feeding your dog and other pets. If your dog has eaten any food on this list, call your vet immediately to report how much of the food it has eaten.
Under no circumstances should you allow your dog to consume alcoholic drinks or food products that contain alcohol. This is because alcohol can lead to abnormal blood acidity, depression of the central nervous system, vomiting and diarrhea, difficulty breathing, tremors, reduced coordination, coma, and in some cases, death. If you find out your dog has helped himself to some booze, call your vet immediately.
Caffeine, Chocolate, and Coffee
These food products are high in methylxanthines. Methylxanthines is a compound present in the cacao seed, coffee plant and in the nuts of some nuts. The extracts serve as ingredients in the production of some cola drinks. When consumed by pets, methylxanthines produces life-threatening reactions. This includes uncontrollable thirst and urination, abnormal heart rhythms, vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, hyperactivity, panting, and in worst cases, death. As for chocolates, methylxanthines is highest in baking chocolates, and lowest in white chocolate and darker chocolates are more dangerous to pets than milk chocolate.
A small amount of citrus fruits like oranges may not present any adverse effects on your dog. Except for minor bowel issues. But don’t allow your dog to eat large amounts of the fruit, seeds, leaves, peels, and stem of citrus plants. This is because of the presence of citric acid. Citric acid can lead to irritation and central nervous system depression when consumed in large qualities by pets.
Like citrus, coconut and coconut-based products consumed in small amounts may not produce any negative effects on your dog. However, care needs to be taken when feeding your dog coconut flesh and milk. This is because both are rich in oils that can cause digestive problems in your pooch. Also, don’t give your dog coconut water because it is densely packed with potassium.
Grapes and Raisins
When consumed by dogs, grapes and raisins cause kidney failure. Although science has not been able to come up with an explanation for this phenomenon. While researchers continue to investigate the toxicity of grapes and raisins to your furry friend, it’s advisable to leave grapes and raisins out of your dog’s nutrition.
When dogs eat macadamia nuts, they can develop signs such as vomiting, hyperthermia, depression, weakness, and tremor. The dog starts showing the seeing the signs within 12 hours of consuming the nuts. And the signs may linger for 12 to 48 hours.
Milk and Dairy products
The lactose in milk is the culprit behind the food’s unsuitability for pets. Your dog may experience stomach discomfort or diarrhea after consuming milk and dairy-based products. This is because his body doesn’t have enough lactase to break down the lactose in the milk. (Lactase is the enzyme responsible for lactose breakdown)
Don’t give your dog nuts such as almonds, pecans, and walnuts. They contain a high amount of fats and oil which can lead to vomiting and diarrhea as well as pancreatitis.
Uncooked/Raw Bones, Eggs, and Meat
Don’t feed your dog raw eggs or fresh meat as they can serve as vectors for harmful bacteria such as Salmonella and E. coli, which are highly dangerous to human and animals. Additionally, raw eggs have an antinutritive factor called avidin which reduces the absorption of biotin (a type of vitamin B), causing coat and skin problems. Also, giving your dog raw bones can lead to unintended consequences because the animal may injure himself while trying to make a meal of the bone. If it doesn’t choke the dog, it may puncture the digestive tract. So, you need to be careful.
Salt and Salty Snacks
Dogs, as well as other pets, should not be fed large quantities of salt because it can lead to excessive thirst and urination and sodium ion poisoning. After ingesting too much salt, your dog may exhibit signs such as vomiting and diarrhea, high body temperatures, seizures, tremors, depression, and sometimes, death. Also, it is advisable to keep snacks with high salt content such as potato chips and popcorn out of your dog’s reach.
Does your dog enjoy donuts and other baked goods? Stop feeding him these treats, or you might be killing him slowly. Xylitol is an artificial sweetener used widely in many products including candy, baked goods, toothpaste, and gum. When consumed by pets, xylitol stimulates the release of insulin, lowering the blood sugar levels, which can lead to liver failure. Some of the signs of xylitol toxicity include lethargy, vomiting, and loss of coordination. Later, it can lead to seizures, a surge in the level of liver enzymes, and eventually liver failure.
Nutrition is an important aspect of caring for your dog. While there is nothing wrong with sharing your plate with your favorite animal, make sure what you are feeding your dog will not harm him. It is true that dogs are also mammals, but we don’t share the same digestive systems. So, take note of these human foods, and avoid feeding your dog.